Hey Kids! Are you finding it difficult to fit reading into your busy summer schedule?
Did you know that studies show you can slip as many as two reading levels over the summer if you don’t read regularly? August snuck up on us quickly and I bet you are wondering how you can read the recommended 6-8 books with only a month left?
Here are my top summer 2016 motivators to get you turning the pages like a breeze:
- Barnes and Noble- Barnes and Noble is celebrating twenty years of summer reading with a triathlon. Just answer three of the four questions in the attached reading journal, bring it to a Barnes and Noble store and you can pick out a free book!
- Sylvan’s Book Adventure- Kids from grades K-8 can read selected books and take an online quiz to earn points towards prizes.
- Scholastic- Sign up with Scholastic to become a reading Superhero! Log the minutes you read for chances to unlock stories and win Klutz books.
- TD Bank– TD Bank’s summer reading challenge is my favorite. Read ten books this summer and get $10 put directly into your TD Bank account! Noting beats money! You have to have a TD Bank account in order to participate so open your account today.
- The long wait is over. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was just released. If you slip reading levels you will never be able to read this gem!
If you are unsure of which books are appropriate for your reading level, the New York Public Library‘s list by school grade is terrific. Once you see the endless choices you are going to pine for an endless summer of reading.